Saturday, January 07, 2006

Bookworms


One of the things I love about being a homeschool mom is getting to do it all over again. The fun parts of school... the books! I was an avid reader as a child; it was my escape. I read anything I could get my hands on- Nancy Drew, Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories, Reader's Digest, Time Magazine. My dad, who also loves books, first introduced me to Nancy Drew in the 3rd grade. When I was in high school, it was Alistair MacLean and in college, Tom Clancy. And I still love a good thriller.

My first big thrill as a homeschool mom came as I taught my son to read... and saw him begin to enjoy books as much as I did. What a joy! So today we read together, and I get to do it all over again: The Runaway Bunny, Make Way for Ducklings, Henry Huggins, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nihm, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, The Chronicles of Narnia, Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables, The Witch of Blackbird Pond ...

My kids are currently reading On to Oregon!, about the Sager children who were orphaned on the Oregon Trail, and Sarah Plain and Tall. Next, it's Rifles for Watie, Little Women and a biography of Harriet Tubman as we study the Civil War. John Mark is reading The Fellowship of the Ring, and Becca is reading a fantasy about Unicorns. Philip enjoys The Magic Treehouse series and has just discovered Encyclopedia Brown.

Cold January days and a good book. That's a really good thing!

No comments: