Saturday, January 28, 2006

100 Things About Me

The Blogger's Rite of Passage....

100 Things About Me

  1. I have six siblings: Two younger brothers, a step-brother, two stepsisters and a half sister.
  2. 2. I was born in Huntsville, Alabama. The rockets at NASA's Space & Rocket Center were a familiar sight, just across from my neighborhood.
  3. 3. I went to LSU on music scholarship and graduated with a degree in Music Education.
  4. My first choice would have been Indiana University. God had other plans. And I still have a soft spot for the University of Alabama (unless they're playing LSU).
  5. I *have* to wash my feet and brush my teeth before I go to bed or I can't sleep.
  6. I went to four different high schools (three of them during my sophomore year)
  7. I lived in Atlanta for 7 months during high school (actually Roswell)
  8. I graduated from high school in Fairfax, Virginia.
  9. I lived with my best friend's family for the last half of my senior year.
  10. I played clarinet for 12 years.
  11. After 11 years of playing the clarinet, I discovered that I missed my true calling- as a trumpet player.
  12. I sort of play piano.
  13. I love Drum Corps International competitions.
  14. I love primitive folk art.
  15. I love history, but especially 18th century American history.
  16. George Washington is one of my heroes.
  17. I desperately wanted to have home births, but had to settle for midwives at a birthing center.
  18. I loved pregnancy and childbirth.
  19. I loved nursing my babies.
  20. I took Latin in high school instead of Spanish or French. It was one of my favorite classes (because of the teacher, not the grammar)
  21. I like "24", "American Idol", and "Star Gate SG-1".
  22. If I had to choose just ONE artist or group to listen to, it would be Zoe.
  23. I get really excited about yard sales.
  24. 24. I've always wanted to see the Northern Lights and the western "Big Sky". Flying over it doesn't count.
  25. I love going to Disney. Unfortunately, my husband does not.
  26. I like pink roses better than red ones. (But I like tulips even more.)
  27. I have a great husband.
  28. He thinks I'm great too.
  29. I'd marry him again.
  30. We met at a Sunday night singing get-together two days after he arrived in town for his first "real" job after college. I thought he was fascinating.
  31. He's the only person my mother ever told me not to date.
  32. I planned my wedding for 10 years prior to meeting my husband. It was everything I dreamed it would be (well, minus the 60 piece orchestra, horse-drawn carriage, and fireworks...)
  33. We honeymooned in Jamaica. It was our last vacation alone for over 6 years, thanks to the arrival of the Little People.
  34. We bought our first house after 12 years of marriage.
  35. I really want a jacuzzi. Big enough for two.
  36. I used to enjoy doing the laundry before I had five kids.
  37. All of our vehicles are over 10 years old... and they aren't classics!
  38. One of the highlights of my Junior year of high school was going to the Army-Navy game in Philadelphia and sitting with all the West Point cadets (an older friend was engaged to one of them).
  39. I like being alone. But it rarely happens.
  40. November is one of my favorite months.
  41. I used to be a Creative Memories Consultant and Unit Manager, and actually won awards for doing it.
  42. I'm glad I'm not doing it any more.
  43. I still enjoy scrapbooking.
  44. 44. I love Broadway musicals, especially Andrew Lloyd Webber.
  45. 45. I'm a pop-music geek. I like the Carpenters, John Denver, Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, Kenny Rogers, the Commodores and Chicago.
  46. 46. But I also like The Cars, Foreigner and Journey. Does REO Speedwagon cancel them out?
  47. Music has allowed me some neat opportunities: performing for President and Mrs. Reagan at my Performing Arts Magnet School in Atlanta; doing the half time show for the Washington Redskins; performing at the Smithsonian, Epcot and Magic Kingdom; watching Leonard Bernstein rehearse the National Symphony Orchestra.
  48. I used to like cooking. Then I discovered Fat Grams. Now I hate cooking.
  49. I really like my yoga class.
  50. I was a shy, geeky kid with glasses and the wrong clothes. I got called "four eyes" a lot, and worse.
  51. Having no boobs is a nightmare in middle school.
  52. My first car was a red 1986 Chevrolet Cavalier. My husband finally got rid of it in 2003. It had been through several fender benders and one flooding.
  53. I have learned that if you drive into a puddle that comes up to your headlights, don't open the door.
  54. I was 32 before I got a clue what Grace was about.
  55. I can't stand the taste of coffee or beer, regardless of how expensive. However, Dom Perignon is pretty good.
  56. My dream vacation involves a beach, a jacuzzi, a masseuse, great seafood, a great book and nearby historical attractions. Oh, and my husband.
  57. I was baptized when I was 15.
  58. I was re-baptized when I was 18. It probably wasn't necessary, but it made me feel better.
  59. I received the "Most Athletic" award at church camp when I was 10 years old. The girls in my cabin obviously had no idea what "athletic" meant.
  60. I love my CoC heritage.
  61. I love to complain about my CoC heritage.
  62. I wish I knew how to ice skate.
  63. I love watching real ice skaters. Unfortunately, Ice Skating often conflicts with Football, so I rarely get to watch it.
  64. I love the song "Heavenly Sunlight". But only once in a while.
  65. 65. Princess Diana was married to Prince Charles when I was 12. I kept a notebook full of magazines and newspaper clippings all about her during my teen years.
  66. I still have it.
  67. My family used to own rabbits- lots of them. It was one of my parents' more insane ideas.
  68. I'm a 4-H leader. And I like it.
  69. I don't know how to play poker (or most card games, for that matter)
  70. Before I became a mother, I didn't think I'd like it.
  71. I love being a mother.
  72. My husband taught me how to drive a stick shift (but I'm glad I don't have to)
  73. My first job was working at the Pfaltszgraff Pfactory Store in Fairfax. I also worked at Things Remembered, Butler Shoes, HomeCare, and H&R Block. Think twice before taking your taxes to H&R Block.
  74. The farthest north I've been is Toronto, Canada. The farthest south is Key West, Florida; the farthest west is San Francisco, and the farthest east is... I don't know... New York City?
  75. 75. I saw the original Star Wars at the theater with my dad. I was 8.
  76. 76. My grandfather worked with the deaf ministry. One day I will too.
  77. 77. My favorite date activity is still dinner and a movie. And going to BooksAMillion.
  78. I love homemade ice cream and shrimp anything. (Louisiana is shrimp heaven.)
  79. I do not like coconut, corned beef, stewed cabbage, or nuts in my brownies and banana bread.
  80. I like cats better than dogs.
  81. I sold Amway for 3 months and Avon for 2 weeks. I was clearly not a dream recruit.
  82. I do not have a green thumb.
  83. I have a list of things to learn: tole painting; Spanish; sewing zippers and button holes; tennis; how to work the soundboard at church; knitting; furniture refinishing, ballroom dancing...well, the thing about ballroom dancing is that I need a partner. I don't know that I'll be able to talk John into doing it.
  84. I enjoy arranging music.
  85. I love singing with the Praise Team.
  86. I almost always prefer the book over the movie. Except for the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
  87. I want to go to Hawaii. The closest thing I've experienced to Hawaii is the Polynesian Resort at Disney. Surely there's a earth/heaven metaphor there... If I ever get to go, I'll have to blog about it.
  88. The best museum exhibit I've ever seen was "Treasure Houses of Britain" at the Smithsonian. It was awesome.
  89. My favorite Star Trek series is Voyager.
  90. My favorite actors are Tom Hanks, Russell Crowe and Matthew McConaughey.
  91. My favorite acresses are Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock and Catherine Zeta-Jones.
  92. I get an odd sense of satisfaction from turning off light switches, throwing stuff away and shutting cabinet doors.
  93. I love flying in airplanes and riding motorcycles; I just can't do it with a clear conscience since I became a mom.
  94. I get my cheap thrills on roller coasters now- but I hate the ones that leave you hanging upside down.
  95. My nightmare job would be truck driving. I struggle with a twelve passenger van!
  96. I'm a night owl.
  97. I really enjoy planning corporate worship. Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods, I'm a decade or so before my time.
  98. Sometimes I like to watch The Lawrence Welk Show.
  99. Yes, we plan to homeschool through high school.
  100. My Father owns the cattle on 1000 hills.

7 comments:

summer said...

i just posted but lost it all, basically i just said you are very interesting, thanks for sharing, and i wish you were here to be in the worship planning and praise teams. you would be such an asset. love you, sandy,
summer

summer said...

wow! that must have took forever. i am glad to learn some things about you. i may try to do that...maybe ten a day for ten days, though! you are so interesting! i wish you were here to sing on the praise teama nd be on the worship planning team. you would be such an asset. thanks for taking the time to write all that out to inform us a little more about you! love you, sandy,
summer

Sandy said...

you are very sweet, Summer! I am waiting with bated breath to read your list... I suppose that will be some time after I see the photo of your new haircut :-)

Karen said...

Very cool list... you and I have a lot in common!

Anonymous said...

Now I feel compelled to add a "100 Things About Me" list to my blog! I really enjoyed reading this.

Anonymous said...

I love the LOTR movies more than the book too.
I'm an ice skater. I love watching it.
You are like the grown up version of me.
You even go to church and live in Kentucky. Not to mention your church has a trunk or treat!
I'm baffled.

Smockity Frocks said...

Hi, I found you through WFMW. I am a homeschooling mom of many, member of the cofc, user of Well Trained Mind blogger, too!