Friday, August 31, 2007

August 31

So where were you 10 years ago today? It's amazing how certain moments become ingrained in your memory, I guess because they are just so shocking. I remember where I was when I heard President Reagan had been shot (my mom told me the news as she picked me up from middle school); when I heard about the Challenger disaster (we lived in Fairfax and school was out that day. My brother had been watching TV: "Hey, the space shuttle exploded!") and where I was when the Berlin Wall fell (home from college on Christmas break). I remember where I was when I found out about the school shootings in Paducah (at Mr. Gatti's Pizza Parlor with my kids) and where I was when the Twin Towers fell (coming down the stairs in our previous house). And, unfortunately, I remember where I was when I learned that Di had died. My mom's house in Florida. In the restroom. Yes, my husband simply could not wait another minute to tell me the news and there I was. It was A Very Memorable Moment. Sigh.

I had followed Diana's story since I was 12- the perfect age to become enraptured with a real, live fairy tale princess. Of course, we all learned that fairy tales just don't exist, in spite of castles, carriages, gowns, jewels and a prince. She never knew that the Prince of Peace was the one she was really searching for. Her death still makes me sad.

On a happier note, we enjoyed the gorgeous and much-cooler weather this evening by grilling Ribeye steak with vegetable kabobs basted in garlic butter. Add broccoli in cheese sauce, baked sweet potatoes with butter and cinnamon, and a peach cobbler and... well, it was REALLY good! Tonight John and I are having movie night on the couch downstairs; John Mark is at Kevin's having Movie Night with his Literature class (Clash of the Titans with Harry Hamlin, anyone?) and the other kiddos are watching High School Musical for about the millionth time. It's a pretty nice start to this long holiday weekend.

No comments: