Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday: Love Edition

This week, Rocks in My Dryer is hosting a special Love Edition of Works for Me Wednesday. I thought I'd share my all-time favorite books on marriage!

1. For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhahn
Shaunti's book is short enough to read in one sitting, and she offers real insight into the inner workings of your guy! I reread this at least once a year or so. Shaunti and her husband Jeff have also written For Men Only, which I also recommend. They were able to put into words things about women I had never seen in any other "marriage" book, and which I couldn't begin to explain to my husband.

2. Always by Betsy Holt & Mike Yorkey
A collecion of inspiring real-life stories by couples who have struggled through some of the worst things life can throw at a marriage (incompatability, illness, adultery, financial difficulties, the death of a child). I liked these stories because the people in them are real- not the "perfect Christians" you sometimes find in this type of book. Although it has been a long time since I've read this book, I still find myself thinking back on some of these accounts and thinking, "If God can do that, then he can certainly do this!"

3.
Becoming One: Emotionally, Spiritually, Sexually by Joe Beam
Hands-down, the best book I've ever read on marriage. Joe goes way beyond "treat your husband with respect" and "give your wife affection". One cornerstone of his advice: "Have Hotter S~x" (sorry... don't want my blog to get visited by those kind of spammers...) Joe rocked the boat on The Today Show last fall with this message (apparently, Christians have a reputation for being fuddy-duddies. Can you imagine?) Check out this article on MSNBC to see what Joe has to say!

4. His Needs, Her Needs by Willard F. Harley
It changed our marriage when we read this 13 years ago or so. It's become a "classic" now, and well worth the read!

5. Letters to Karen by Charlie Shedd
This is the first "marriage" book I ever read; I discovered it on the family bookshelf when I was a teen, and adopted it for my own. It's a collection of letters from a father to his daughter as she is preparing for marriage. Oh, it discussed s~x, and a lot of other things as well (but in a way you probably wouldn't mind an older teen reading). It formed a good bit of the foundation for my views of marriage, and helped me know what to look for in a mate (and clearly, it worked! :-) It's still a wonderful read.

What books have had a positive impact on your marriage?

3 comments:

Qtpies7 said...

I have read a couple of those. I recommend one on my blog, and yes, its a love and respect one, but one that is completely doable, makes great sense, and WORKS incredibly. I also love 5 love languages, Creative Helpmeet, His needs Her needs.
S-x is important, but that comes with a great relationship!

summer said...

we've read a couple of those and really liked becoming one. a couple of others that were good are kay arthur's "a marriage without regrets" and "light his fire"/ "light her fire" by ellen kreidman. this book is not written by a christian author but was recommended to us by a minister we worked with in nashville that did our premarital counceling. it is very matter of fact, but good for young marrieds i think. we also have used a nightly marriage devotional by james and shirley dobson called "nightlights" that was good. most of the great marrital councel i have received was form godly women with loving husband. i treasure all the great advice i have received!!

Amy said...

I've not ready any of these. More to add to my reading list (yippee!!). :) One of my favorites is Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas.