Monday, October 26, 2009

Daybook for October 26


FOR TODAY October 26...

Outside my window... cool and partly cloudy. Yesterday was the most gorgeous fall day, though, and last night was a *perfect* night for Trunk-or-Treat and a bonfire behind the church afterwards!
~
I am thinking... of emails I need to send (I love email... I am so not a phone person!) and the items I need to find at the consignor's sale tonight. I usually don't have to buy the kids a lot of clothes any more, but it turns out that Nathanael only had about 3 shirts come out of the winter box of clothes. I guess that's what happens when you're child #5.
~
I am thankful... that Upward football season is over. I can have my Saturday mornings back- yay!
~
From our studies... Catching up on Algebra and Physics; studying the "Triangle of Trade" and the African slave ships in history; making a model of some yet-to-be-determined animal habitat; and finishing up this week's lapbook on Cephalopods (did you know that's what octopuses and squid are?)
~
From the kitchen... You know, Mondays just aren't good kitchen days for me-- we're out of everything! But I hope I can manage Blackened Chicken Sandwiches for dinner tonight after Track Club (or did we eat the chicken already?)
~
I am wearing... still in my favorite pink house robe and blue terry slippers, because I'm still gathering the energy to put on my running clothes and head out the door. Not a phone person, and not a morning person either :-)
~
I am creating... Do you know I did not go scrapbooking on Friday?? The Hunter Duo did not get out the door until after 7PM, and I hadn't finished getting everything ready for consignment. It was a very sad thing.
~
I am going... running, as soon as I get the kids settled into something time-consuming. The dog will be so happy- he gets all excited every time he sees me putting on my shoes, but I haven't taken him anywhere in several days.
~
I am reading... I finished Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer this weekend. It's a harrowing first-hand account of the Mt. Everest climbing disaster that killed 5 people in 1996. Compelling story-telling!
~
I am hoping... that the box turtle on the front porch really is hibernating, as the turtle book says he should be and is not, in fact, dead.
~
I am hearing... It's a complaining sort of morning around here: we ran out of milk, which gets everyone off on the wrong foot. At least there's Halloween candy to make up for the dairy deficit.
~
Around the house... All the hunting gear from John and Philip's Youth Hunt expedition must be washed and put up again. The laundry room is much roomier, thanks to the loads of clothes and other junk taken to Consignment and Goodwill this weekend! The upstairs carpets are freshly cleaned (at least some parts), thanks to the Very Dirty Dog and the Very Bad Cat. I'll be picking up contraband candy wrappers for the next several weeks.
~
One of my favorite things... October afternoons! I ran an errand downtown last week, and the late-afternoon sun made everything seem bathed in gold. I felt like a kid just getting out of school, with an entire day of adventure still before me... but I had to go to the grocery. Sigh.
~
A few plans for the rest of the week: Must gather (and hem as necessary) four chorus uniforms before Thursday night; our wonderful friend Ross will be here to help John Mark with Physics before church on Wednesday; and on Friday night, John promised to take me dancing!
~
From my Picture Journal: Me and my Granny, this past July. Granny always mailed each grandchild a card on every holiday, but since she injured her wrist a couple of years ago, she can barely write any more. I must remember to put her Halloween card in the mail this week.

To see more Daybooks, visit The Simple Woman's Daybook.

1 comment:

dtbrents said...

I enjoyed your daybook. You have an easy way of writing that I enjoy. I'm excited about seeing the grands in their costumes. We don't get very many trick or treaters here. The churches and schools always plans things to keep the children inside. I love the picture of you and your grandma. Have a great week. Doylene