Sunday, August 30, 2009

Happy September

I've declared this Happy September Week, and this week I'll be sharing all the things that are making me happy lately. (Because isn't that a lot better than listening to all the things I want to whine about?)

Co-op Break! We're five weeks in, and our homeschool co-op has gotten off to a great start this year. The co-op is quite a bit smaller than it's been in several years, but that has turned out to be a blessing: we're all enjoying the low-key, stress-free schedule that we keep now. Even so, there has been so much craziness with all the other stuff on our calendar that I'm glad to have a week to catch up and maybe feel a little more together when we begin again next week.

Running-- who woulda thunk?? But it's true: for the first time in my life, I have a cardio activity that I actually enjoy. A couple of years ago, it occurred to me that I ought to be able to run around the block; it seemed like one of those life skills that might come in handy at some point. Alas, I could barely run to the stop sign at the end of the street! Besides, I was miserable every time I attempted to run, so I figured I was just one of those people that was not meant to run. But back in June, I received this book from my paperbackswap wishlist, and it was exactly what I needed. A book for real beginners, a book that assumed you could not run to the stop sign at the end of the street. I read it... and began to run. I run three days a week and cross-train or rest on the in-between days. I do run-walk-run intervals, and that's probably why I enjoy it so much. It makes the time go really fast, and I don't get worn out. When I first began, I had already been exercising on the elliptical machine and walking for several months, so I was ready to begin running two minutes and walking three (at that point, I actually could have run to the stop sign at the end of the street- but not a lot farther!) Now I'm up to running eight minutes and walking one, and I'm training to run a local 5K at the end of September. I know! And I'm totally sold on run-walk intervals. If you want to know more, you can read about them at Jeff Galloway's site.

Homemade bread! This cookbook has revolutionized (and added many calories) to my life. I now make homemade bread at least 3 times a week, and you know how much I hate to cook! But 5-minute bread? Even I can handle that-- and boy, is it good! You can see a demonstration of just how easy it is here:

And I just discovered that they have a new cookbook coming out in October: Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day: 100 New Recipes Featuring Whole Grains, Fruits, Vegetables, and Gluten-Free Ingredients. It will definitely be on my Christmas list!

So what are you happy about this week?


E.T.'s Mom said...

Cool! I'm going to be looking into all of that. Thanks for sharing!

OUR FAMILY... said...

I am happy (gratefull) for the break and this great weather!