Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Christmas Meme

1. Favorite Holiday Memory - Christmas Eve dinner at Gran's house, with presents and stockings afterwards. Ever practical, Gran always filled our stockings with oranges and nuts, and gave us clothes, but we loved it anyway :-)
2. Favorite Holiday Song - Cannot possibly choose just one: "The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole... "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" by Bruce Springsteen... "Christmastime is Here" by Barry Manilow... this could go one for a while...
3. Favorite Holiday Cartoon - Rudolph. A Charlie Brown Christmas (John hates Charlie Brown). Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Clearly, I'm no good at this meme.
4. Favorite Holiday Movie- The Polar Express- love it!
5. Wrapping Paper or Gift bags? I like wrapping paper best, but I can use gift bags with a clear conscience.
6. Real tree or artificial? I'd love to have a real Douglas Fir, but after The Year of the Praying Mantis, we got an artificial tree.
7. When do you put up the tree? As soon as we can get it together after Thanksgiving.
8. More importantly, when do you take down the tree? As soon as we can get it together after Christmas
9. Favorite Gift received as a child? I had lots of "favorite" gifts... the art easel when I was 7, the white bicycle basket when I was 10, the Panama Jack shirt when I was 12 (except that it was yellow instead of pink). The most memorable year might be the year my parents got divorced and I got everything on my list, oh yes, I did! I got both Baby Beth and Bogart the Basset Hound. It was some year.
10. Hardest person to buy for? My stepdad. John. Men in general. If it's inexpensive, they have it already, and if it's expensive, I can't afford it either.
11. Easiest person to buy for? Becca! Except that I can't buy her clothes anymore (sigh).
12. Christmas cards? I try, oh I do.
13. Nativity Scene? Ummm.... yeah.
14. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Chex Mix! Sweet Potato Casserole! Pumpkin Pie! Peppermint Bark!
15. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Yes.
16. Angel on top of the tree? We used to have an angel, and I loved her, but then her lights went out and I was unable to find a replacement that didn't look like Scarlet O'Hara, and really, who wants Scarlet O'Hara on the top of their tree? I finally settled on a star, but the angel search continues.
17. Open presents on Christmas Eve or Christmas morning? Christmas Morning, except for when we go to Indiana, and then it's at least a two-day affair.
18. Best part of the holidays? Pretty lights. Christmas music. Kid concerts. Trips to see family. Remembering the Nativity story. I like shopping for the people I love too.
19. Worst part of the holidays? Getting out all the Christmas cra... decorations and putting it all back up again.
20. Weirdest Christmas memory? Everything's normal around here. Really.
21. Colored lights or white? Colored, but white is fine as long as there are lots of them.
22. Ever been Christmas caroling? But of course!
23. Ever been ice skating? Yes. Amazing Grace, that's me.
24. Candy Canes or Gingerbread? For eating: Gingerbread. For decorating: candy canes!
25. Christmas quirk? See #20. Everything's normal around here, remember?

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

yea for the meme! Fun, but I KNOW your family! Normal??? I don't think so . . .

Enjoyed have breakfast with you guys this morning! Merry Christmas