Friday, November 09, 2007

When Math and Lunch Collide

"Mom, we ate all the Roman Numerals."

Huh?

Yeah, it took me a minute too.

You see, what I really needed to win in the drawing was a new microwave. Our current one bit the dust this past week. For some inexplicable reason, it just quit. Oh microwave, how I feel your pain! But this microwave was just purchased this past March during our Broken Appliance version of "When It Rains, It Pours." That makes it still new in my book, way too young to give up the ghost yet. Fortunately, it is still under warranty, which is a rare bit of good news considering the appliance catastrophes we've endured this year. The bad news is that we are out of a microwave for two weeks while Sears sends it to Memphis or Dayton or Kalamazoo or wherever it has to go.

To help our family deal with a crisis of this magnitude, when I went to the store yesterday, I bought lots of heat n' eat stuff my kids could cook on the stove for lunch: soup, ravioli, ramen noodles. Today, lunch happened to follow math time, but it still didn't quite prepare me for the moment when my 6-year-old reported that all the Roman Numerals had been consumed. After the fall of the Roman Empire, I'm sure it was only a matter of time before the Roman Numerals also met their demise... but who knew it would happen in my kitchen?

No comments: