1. Philip is my third child and the second of four sons, meaning that he is destined to share his firstborn brother's room throughout his childhood years (to their mutual dismay).
2. Philip also has a very enthusiastic elder sister who has doted on her baby brother from the beginning. From her, he has learned to play Barbie dolls, draw pictures, coordinate clothes, eat lipgloss... I trust that somehow, some way, these things will come in handy at some point in his life.
3. Philip was born with a terrifically hard head that made labor quite the experience. His hard head has served him well, however. He can shake off knocks and bangs that would knock anyone else silly.
4. Philip was born overflowing with personality. I called him "Philip-Sunshine" when he was a baby because he was always so happy.
5. Philip has a great sense of humor, which his very-funny father is helping him to refine. (This has meant many knock-knock jokes over the past few years.)
6. Philip is a creator of stories and a dreamer of dreams. He can immediately create an entire drama with a bare smidgen of information. (Unfortunately, this talent does not always serve him well!)
7. Philip has a tender heart that longs for God. When he was eight, he began asking about being a Christian. He kept at it for a year until last summer, John agreed that he could be baptized. Philip gave the sweetest profession of faith at his baptism!
8. Philip has a knack for being in the right place at the right time- and in the wrong place at the wrong time. If anything at all is going on, you can depend on Philip being right in the middle of it. (The local newspaper has published several photos of Philip over the years... because he is always where the action is!)
9. Philip is the child most like his father- looks, personality, the whole kit n' kaboodle. This is the child that Grandma was talking about when she threatened my husband years ago, "One day you're going to have a son just like you!"
10. Philip is fearless and a daredevil. (See #9, Most like his Father and #8 Wrong Place at the Wrong Time.) He will be at least 18 before we let him loose with a car. He will conquer the world if he doesn't maim himself first- or worse!
11. Philip loves to build, draw and create. He has made some ingenious inventions with his erector set. He says he wants to be a scientist when he grows up.
12. Philip is a wonderful conversationalist and companion. Many adult friends have shared with me the the entertaining conversations he has had with them.
13. One week ago today, Philip turned ten! Happy Birthday to my happy, creative and much-loved son!