Wednesday, January 17, 2007

WFMW: Children's Chore Training

I learned this tip from an older Titus 2 mom, and although it seems kind of obvious, it's made a big difference in how I divide up chores in our home:

When you have a task to be assigned, always ask the youngest capable child to do it.

Our older children almost always end up with the lion's share of the work, which is not only unfair- if their younger siblings are capable of doing it- but it also robs the little ones of the opportunity to learn new skills and contribute to the family in a very important way.

5 comments:

Katherine@Raising Five said...

That is a great reminder. I just asked my oldest to empty the dishwasher a few minutes ago. Sheesh!

Lesli said...

Great advice! I honestly don't know that I would have thought of it. I now have it stored for future use. ;-)

Kara said...

Great idea!

Nikki said...

Wonderful tip! I never would've thought this. I guess I just pile the responsibility on my five year old. Poor kid!

Christine said...

I love this idea; it can be challenging, but it is the best. Blessings to you!